Remembering Matthew on his birthday











An excerpt from my journal of Matthew's birth....(I cried on my way down the hall while praying over and over, "God please save our baby." The operating room was very busy with everyone setting up. They administered the spinal which went smoothly. Everything was ready and they brought Jim into the room. I started to relax a bit with him by my side, but was still shaking terribly. As they started the c-section, Jim whispered to me, "our son will be ok", immediately I felt calm as I realized that our son would be ok no matter what happened.)


An excerpt from Jim's speech at Matthew's funeral...(I believed without a stitch of doubt that our son would live, and he is. This is not exactly what we had in mind though. We were praying for our son to live here on earth with us. But as God's will not mine. Even Christ our Savior was denied His will. Matt. 26:39 says, "He went a little farther and fell on His face, and prayed, saying, "O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will." We can all see that our God in heaven know what is best. So please, I urge you to never thing that our prayers were not answered. Matthew is now living without pain, without trials, and without a chance of ever falling from God's grace...Far better than we could have ever given him. Our prayers for our son are answered.)

When we named our son, we were unaware that his name means...A gift from God. Although we did not get to raise our son and enjoy him here on earth, he was truly "a gift from God". We had this engraved on his grave stone because it fit so well.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bridgett,
I can't believe the incredible strength you have shown through all this. You really encourage me. I can only hope that when trials come my way that I will be as strong as you. I want you to know that I love reading your blog. I know I don't usually make comments, but I do read it all the time. I like being able to see what is going on with your family. I like seeing how the kids are growing up and wish I could see them.

Love,
Autumn

Jessica Hays said...

Bridgett,
A day or two late but still very much from deep within my heart - I am so sorry that you lost Matthew so young, so soon. Thank you for sharing with us some of your journey through grief. I have been challenged and encouraged by learning about your loss and how you are growing through it all. How much sweeter the thought of heaven is with those loved ones there! Come quickly, Lord Jesus!
Jessica

Abbi said...

You and Jim's words made me cry. What a wonderful testimony you have!

Anonymous said...

Very nice tribute to your son, Bridgette. Thank you for sharing from such a raw place in your heart. It brought tears to my eyes. Love you!
Tanager

Bridgett said...

Thank you for your comments