A lesson learned



As I was thinking about how much God has done for us, I was reminded of how He also teaches us. This story came to mind and I wanted to share it.

Julia's Birth Story
Julia was due on May 22nd, 2007. Having had three previous c-sections, I was desperate to have a natural birth. After signing some papers, the doctors agreed to let me try to go natural. To help prevent more complications of a very overdue baby they wanted me to schedule a c-section a week after my due date. So I scheduled the c-section for Wednesday, May 30th at 11am.
I started praying fervently to God to let me have the baby before my scheduled c-section. After all in Matthew 17:20, Jesus said, "If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." Well my due date of the 22nd came and went without any labor. While driving to my doctor's appointment on the 29th I was having some mild contractions. During my two hour drive I talked myself into moving my c-section date to June 1st. I knew the doctor wouldn't mind a two day delay and it would give me two more days to go into labor. As I was deciding this my conscience started really bothering me. Here I was praying all this time to go into labor before the 30th and I decided to move the due date to give myself more time. So much for my faith to move mountains. Well, I decided to ignore my nagging conscience and move the date.
At 4am on wed. may 30th I awoke to labor pains. I did some things around the house until 6am then I woke Jim up and told him that I was in labor. My pains got worse very quickly and by 8:30 when we were ready to leave, they were at 2 minutes apart. We called the hospital in Burlington to let them know we were on our way. The contractions stayed at about 2 mins apart with increasing pressure during the drive. When we were almost there I realized that I had not felt the baby move at all and became a little nervous.
They hooked me up to the monitor when we reached the hospital. After monitoring me for about 5 minutes, they noticed a severe drop in the baby's heart. They watched for a few minutes and it happened again. At that point they told me that they had to do an emergency c-section. While preparing for the c-section, her heart rate dropped lower and lower. I won't get into the details of the c-section because it would take too long. Anyway, to say the least, it was the most unpleasant one that I have had. When Julia was born she was heavily coated with mecconium and had the cord wrapped three times around her neck very tightly. She had a bit of trouble breathing at first so they intubated her. After about 30 minutes, she was breathing well on her own.
Julia Grace Cauley 8lb. 3oz, 20in. was born on Wednesday, May 30th at 11am. Notice the original c-section date above. When I realized that I had had her at the exact time and date that I didn't have enough faith to keep, I was ashamed. I spoke to God right then and said, "Ouch, that was a very hard lesson learned, I am sorry." I truly believe that God was teaching me a lesson about my lack of faith. I do thank God that he allowed me to have a beautiful healthy girl. Hopefully if He blesses me with another child I will remember this lesson. Please feel free to share a story that you have in the comments section.

No comments: